31 August 2012

The Doodle Bug Hits the Big Girl School

For years, the Sophie Doodle has been begging to go to the Big Girl School with Olivia.  She had spent the last three years napping in a stroller in the copy room, or looking at books, or playing kindergarten computer games in the hall, or coloring on the floor, while I was busy carrying on the PTO business.  Sophie truly felt at home in the elementary and was familiar with all of the staff members, who were ALWAYS kind to her.  And thankfully, the principal was always happy to have her, and she understood, there would be no Tonjinator without Sophie.

So glad I took this for both of them.
Yesterday, Sophie's big day finally arrived.  We had visited the classroom on Tuesday, so that she could meet her teacher, take a look around and get comfortable with her surroundings.  The night before she was worried, but she had a pretty good idea what she was getting into.  When she woke up, Sophie quickly got dressed, and shot downstairs, ready to go.  The Tonj stayed home a little later to walk with us and Olivia (who wouldn't even let me walk her to school on Monday).  Once we turned the corner, Olivia took off running to meet the BFF for the walk, leaving the Tonj to hold Sophie's hand.  I walked behind with a camera and Max, the 5 pound Maltese-Chihuahua Destroyer, on a leash.
Finally, we completed the quarter mile walk, and arrived at the school, where the teachers, Mrs. W (hers) and Mrs. M, the principal and the guidance counselor awaited the arrival of the newbies.  I asked Sophie to stand still so I could take a picture in front of a tree, and she posed like a dancer.  Little scary, my peeps.

At 11:45, Nonna and I headed out the door to to walk the quarter mile back to the school to pick her up.  When Mrs. W pointed me out to Sophie, she came stomping toward me.  "I'm not coming back here EVER."

Ham Sandwich, anyone?
Uh oh.  The Tonjinator immediately perceives that her next move here is very important.  So what does the Tonjinator do?  Allow Nonna to reply to Sophie's statement, of course.

Nonna:  You mean you didn't have fun?
Sophie:  No it was AWFUL.  (At this point I decide to step in)
Tonjinator: Didn't you make any new friends?  Or did you get in trouble during circle time for talking?  (She gets that honestly, I'll admit.)
Sophie:  NO!
Tonjinator:  Well, can you tell me the names of the kids that sit beside you in class?
Sophie:  It's two boys.  Don't know their names.  Don't care.
Tonjinator:  (tentatively) Okay.  Did Mrs. W read you any books?
Sophie:  Oh yeah, so did the guidance counselor.  He read us a book about filling buckets.  (FINALLY, something I recognize.  The school district's character ed program is called Bucket Fillers, and teaches the kids to be kind and respectful!)
Tonjinator:  What did he say that meant?  (Ha ha - Fooled the kid!)
Sophie:  It's about being nice.  Saying I love you is a bucket filler 'cause it makes the person you say it to feel good.  (SHE GOT IT!  YAY!)
Tonjinator:  That's right, Sophie!  Did Mrs. W read you a book called Look Out Kindergarten --
Sophie:  Here I Come!  How did you know?
Tonjinator:  'Cause I'm very smart.  (Thanks Mrs. W for the FB status about what book you were going to read yesterday.)  Well, Soph, this is what I want you to do tomorrow.  I want you to try to meet one little girl in your class that you can play with on the playground.  Then I want you to find out the names of the two boys who sit beside you.  Okay?
Sophie:  Fine.  But I'm not going.

Nothing more was said about it last night.  As we walked to school this morning, I reminded her of her tasks today:  Meet one little girl, and tell me the names of the two little boys.  She said okay.  I walked back to the school at 11:45 to walk her home again.

Tonjinator:  So, how did it go?  Did you make a friend on the playground and have fun?
Sophie:  Yep.  Her name is Savannah.  She lives a couple doors down from us.
Tonjinator:  That's great, Sophie.  What about the boys' names?
Sophie:  Well, one is named Ethan.  I don't know the other one's name.  I'll find that out next week.
Tonjinator:  Great, sweetie!  Did Mrs. W read books?
Sophie:  Mommy, you have GOT to stop asking me so many questions.  I don't want to talk about it any more.

Wait, the five year old has a mind of her own now, too?  My baby!

And, as a footnote, my friend, Mindy, who is a district office staff member, was there to take photos of the Kindergarten Kickoff.  And, guess who is in the slide show on the district homepage?  That's right!  And no tears were shed, by either the Tonjinator or the Sophie Doodle!

Yep.  A Star Is Born!
Updated 9/4:  I asked Sophie today if she found out the name of the other little boy.  "Bahama, " she said.  I asked if she meant Mohammed.  "YES, Mom!  That's it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment